Newspapers, and especially tabloids, have a tendency to overdo everything, to catch your attention and basically sell more papers. Also, many headlines are decided upon by the desk, and not the actual journalist who wrote the piece, and sometimes that, combined with deadlines and a hectic work environment, results in funny headlines.
I have added a few of them below, and you can find more on the Internet. I have seen many of these labeled as “Best headlines of 1997”, “Best headlines of 2002” etc, and the only thing that is for certain is that somebody claimed that they were real headlines at one time or another, but I can not vouch for that .
I find many of them rather funny:)
- Include Your Children When Baking Cookies
- Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert says
- Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
- Drunk Gets Nine Months in Violin Case
- Iraqi Head Seeks Arms
- Is There a Ring of Debris around Uranus?
- Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
- British Left Waffles on Falkland Islands
- Clinton Wins on Budget, But More Lies Ahead
- Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe Told
- Miners Refuse to Work after Death
- Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
- Stolen Painting Found by Tree
- Two Sisters Reunited After 18 Years in Checkout Counter
- Never Withhold Herpes Infection from Loved One
- War Dims Hope for Peace
- If Stride Isn’t Settled Quickly, It May Last a While
- Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
- Enfields Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
- Red Tape Holds Up New Bridge
- Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
- Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge
- New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
- Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft
- Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
- Chef Throws His Heart into Helping Feed Needy
- Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half
- New Vaccine May Contain Rabies
- Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors
If you have any more suggestions or other compilations of headlines, please feel free to post them in the comments.
While on the subject, I did a quick check for more newspaper related stupidity, and found the following headlines and clippings. Its amazing that some of this stuff was actually passed by whoever passes stuff.